W2691b Mr Pollard; 6 Views of town showing Bank, 1918
The photographs shown in boxes 18-24 were commissioned in 1918 by Mr Pollard of Lewes Borough Council in preparation of a design for a Lewes War Memorial.
William A Pollard was Chief Clerk to Lewes Borough Council, and by 1920 was the longest serving officer, having joined the corporation on 2 February 1882. He served, together with the Town Clerk Reginald T Baxter, as joint clerk of the War Memorial Fund, hence his responsibility for arranging the photographs. He was a trained solicitor’s clerk and by 1911 was living at St Magnus, King Henry’s Road.