H11114g — Every burnt bridge removal (Bear Fire), 1918
Image 2: H11114l Every burnt bridge removal (Bear Fire) – 1918
The damaged bridge was removed by Everys. It turned out to be uninsured and was consequently never replaced.
This bridge was designed and built in 1892 by Charles Wells of the Etna Ironworks. It was built for Stricklands, Seed and Corn merchants, to link their two buildings. Their warehouse in Bear Yard, known as the ‘Store Room’, was completely destroyed in the fire, but Vipers Store on the west bank was damaged only superficially with an estimated repair cost of £20. The bridge replaced an earlier one built in 1839, which was then moved ‘up river’ on the west side in 1868.